Percent of students scoring at Developing Learner or above on the Georgia Milestones Ninth Grade Literature EOC
GREENBRIER HS (COLUMBIA COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Chris R. Segraves
Effective practices at Greenbrier High School are:
1. utilizing results of benchmark testing to identify students needing academic assistance;
2. assigning identified students to an appropriate thirty-minute Advisement Period for intensive instruction;
3. providing common planning time and use of common content assessments;
4. implementing rigorous and differentiated instructional strategies;
5. aligning and revising lesson units to CCGPS;
6. using "state-defined" rubric to assess writing;
7. utilizing instructional strengths of co-teaching personnel to implement effective strategies.
GWINNETT SCHOOL OF MATHEMATICS, SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (GWINNETT COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Dr. Jeff Mathews, Principal
Ms. Karen Rockey, Assistant Principal
Effective practices at Gwinnett School of Math, Science & Technology are:
1. exposing students to rigorous instruction in order to develop skills for advanced studies;
2. supporting continuous professional development especially the integration of technology;
3. using intervention strategies that make literature and literacy relevant to 21st Century platforms;
4. collaborating in the development of performance-based, formative assessments;
5. providing immediate feedback on assessments and teaching integrated topics that increase relevancy for students and compliment their work;
6. implementing adult and peer mentoring programs and intervention strategies;
7. utilizing USA Test Prep.
MCINTOSH HS (FAYETTE COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Lynne Bruschetti, Department Chairperson
Effective practices at McIntosh High School are:
1. analyzing available data to identify students with weak ELA skills;
2. scheduling three, twenty -minute Instructional Focus sessions that target deficit ELA skills;
3. planning collaboratively with strategic emphasis on reading, writing and relevance;
4. ensuring aligning of instruction with CCGPS;
5. developing a culture of high academic expectations.
MURRAY COUNTY HS (MURRAY COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Gina Linder, Principal
Andrea Morrow, Curriculum Facilitator
Jenny Lock, Language Arts Department Chairperson
Effective practices at Murray County High School are:
1. assigning literacy-focused activities based on Lexile measures;
2. analyzing benchmark data to identify student needs;
3. requiring students to "provide evidence from texts" in written and oral responses;
4. assigning struggling students to Fast Forward, a brain-based reading support program;
5. utilizing a variety of differentiated instructional strategies;
6. targeting academic strategies for economically-disadvantaged students in professional development trainings.
Resources from Ruby Payne and Eric Jensen
UNION GROVE HS (HENRY COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Dawn Jordan, Graduation Coach
Effective practices at Union Grove High School are:
1. scheduling a daily Instructional Focus Period;
2. analyzing data from prior testing, grades and benchmarks;
3. identifying and assigning at-risk students to mandatory Instructional Focus sessions in content area.
Reference: UGHS Improvement Plan
WHITEWATER HS (FAYETTE COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Roy A. Rabold, Principal
Effective practices at Whitewater High School are:
1. emphasizing vocabulary and writing skills;
2. completing journals in Language Arts courses;
3. using writing across the curriculum strategies.
* School’s effective practices based on 2012-2014 performance data.