Percent of graduates earning high school credit(s) for accelerated enrollment via ACCEL, Dual HOPE Grant, Move ON When Ready, Early College, Gateway to College, Advanced Placement courses, or International Baccalaureate courses
BROOKWOOD HS (GWINNETT COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Debra Dees, Principal
Kim Hamman, Administrative Intern
Effective practices at Brookwood High School are:
1. increasing enrollment in Advanced Placement courses, dual enrollment and MOWR;
2. marketing advantages of enrollment in advanced courses;
3. enrolling 9th and 10th graders in appropriate advanced courses;
4. delivering rigorous instruction and providing opportunities for remediation and enrichment;
5. providing opportunities for professional learning and collaboration.
DUNWOODY HIGH SCHOOL (DEKALB COUNTY SCHOOLS)
Tom McFerrin, Principal
Andrew Jameson, Assistant Principal
Alethia Love, Counselor
Effective practices at Dunwoody High School are:
1. offering a variety of course options including 23 Advanced Placement courses;
2. participating in Advanced Placement content training opportunities;
3. communicating course options available through the Move on When Ready Program;
4. capitalizing on courses available at post-secondary schools ( Georgia State University Perimeter College);
5. facilitating counseling sessions with parents/students about acceleration options;
6. implementing weighted grades for selected courses.
VETERANS HS (HOUSTON COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Dr. Lionel Brown, Principal
Amy Barbour, Assistant Principal for Instruction
Effective practices at Veterans High School are:
1. increasing enrollment in Advanced Placement courses;
2. training teachers at College Board's AP Summer Institutes and one-day sessions and encouraging attendance at GaDOE sponsored AP workshops;
3. scheduling informational Advanced Placement meetings for students and parents to communicate expectations, demands and benefits of the program.
* School’s effective practices based on 2012-2014 performance data.