Percent of students' assessments scoring at Proficient or Distinguished Learner on Georgia Milestones EOCs
ARABIA MOUNTAIN (DEKALB COUNTY SCHOOL SYSTEM)*
Effective practices at Arabia Mountain High School are:
1. employing highly qualified teachers;
2. scheduling collaborative meetings among teachers to produce common assessments, lab assignments, and evaluations of student work;
3. monitoring instruction and student progress regularly;
4. teaching and modeling scientific thinking and logic and integrating content concepts in real-world experiences;
5. increasing vocabulary skills by emphasizing Greek /Latin prefixes, suffixes and roots;
6. utilizing a variety of instructional resources: USA TESTPREP, diagnostic tests, mock EOCTs, focused reviews, etc.;
7. communicating to parents the implications of content mastery and EOCT.
BREMEN HS (BREMEN CITY SCHOOLS)*
Dr.Tim Huff, Principal
Effective practices at Bremen High School are:
1. ensuring alignment of instruction with curriculum;
2. reviewing available data to determine students' academic strengths and weakness;
3. using available media to communicate with parents/students information about students' status in relation to course mastery and graduation requirements.
ETOWAH HS (CHEROKEE COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Keith Ball, Principal
Effective practices at Etowah High School are:
1. setting a goal of increasing the number of students scoring at "Exceeds" on all EOCTs;
2. providing release time for Consistency Teams of Professional Learning Communities to analyze data to determine needs of students;
3. using disaggregated data to identify students for remediation or acceleration;
4. disaggregating student achievement data and using results to refine instructional strategies.
GREENBRIER HS (COLUMBIA COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Chris R. Segraves
Effective practices at Greenbrier High School are:
1. aligning /revising content units with CCGPS/GPS;
2. implementing creative writing software in courses;
3. differentiating instruction;
4. delivering rigorous levels of instruction;
5. assessing and re-teaching students with academic deficiencies during the thirty-minute Achievement Period;
6. re-assessing students with deficiencies;
7. optimizing strengths of co-teaching personnel to meet needs of students;
8. developing a culture of high expectations and excellence.
PEACHTREE RIDGE HS (GWINNETT COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Lee Augmon, Assistant Principal
Effective practices at Peachtree Ridge High School are:
1. providing opportunities for collaboration about implementation and effectiveness of instructional strategies and consistency in planning lessons aligned to CCGPS/GPS;
2. teaching from bell to bell;
3. creating students' Safety Nets by embedding academic support strategies and reviewing "difficult" concepts periodically during class;
4. planning explicit EOCT review sessions;
5. assisting students before and after school and during lunch.
ROSWELL HS (FULTON COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Jerome Huff, Principal
Effective practices at Roswell High School are:
1. delivering rigorous instruction to all students;
2. increasing enrollment in advanced courses;
3. developing a culture of high academic achievement;
4. assisting students with academics issues before and after school and during lunch.
SOUTH FORSYTH HIGH SCHOOL (FORSYTH COUNTY SCHOOLS)
Angela Satterfield, ELA Chairperson
Melissa Smith, Science Chairperson
Effective practices at South Forsyth High School are:
1. utilizing assessment data to identify concepts/skills for targeted review or remediation;
2. developing common assessments and review/remediation activities;
3. teaching explicitly content curricula;
4. differentiating instruction;
5. focusing on evidence-based responses;
6. integrating instruction and resources such as USA Test Prep and reference materials/practice questions.
WHITEWATER HS (FAYETTE COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Roy A. Rabold, Principal
Effective practices at Whitewater High School are:
1. emphasizing vocabulary (especially word walls related to course) and writing skills;
2. encouraging a writing component in all courses.
* School’s effective practices based on 2012-2014 performance data.