4-Year Cohort Graduation Rate
ARABIA MOUNTAIN HIGH SCHOOL (DEKALB COUNTY SCHOOLS)
Tammy Bates-Rogers, Counselor
Dr. Rodney Swanson, Principal
Effective practices at Arabia Mountain High School are:
1. cultivating school culture in which graduation is an expectation;
2. engaging actively students in the content of each course;
3. monitoring Seniors’ graduation progress every 4.5 weeks;;
4. developing support plans for Seniors in jeopardy of not graduating;
5. communicating a variety of Pathway options to students;
6. clarifying graduation cohort data.
Swanson, C. (2008) Cities in Crisis. Bethesda: Editorial Projects in Education Research Center
Balfanz, R & Legters, N. (2004) Locating the Dropout Crisis. NY: John Hopkins Center for Research on the Education of Students Placed at Risk.
CALHOUN HS (CALHOUN CITY SCHOOLS)*
Greg Green, Principal
Debra Moyer, College and Career Advisor
Effective practices at Calhoun High School are:
1. encouraging student participation in extracurricular activities;
2. scheduling parent-teacher conferences twice yearly with expectations of 100% participation;
3. identifying at-risk students through College-Career Advisor and grade-level RTI Specialists;
4. implementing specific interventions coordinated by RTI specialists;
5. executing intervention strategies by Student Support Teams;
6. developing credit recovery opportunities during the school day and through Calhoun Online Learning Academy.
BREMEN HS (BREMEN CITY SCHOOLS)*
Dr.Tim Huff, Principal
Effective practices at Bremen High School are:
1. using available media to communicate with parents and students information about students' status in relation to course mastery and graduation requirements;
2. monitoring students' course selections and credits;
3. providing creative options for students to take advantage of credit recovery.
RABUN COUNTY HS (RABUN COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Joi Woods, Assistant Principal
An effective practice at Rabun High School is:
1. scheduling Wildcat Time two days a week: Wildcat Time is a remediation and enrichment activity period.
UNION COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL*
John Hill, Principal
Effective practices at Union County High School are:
1. implementing teachers as advisors procedures;
2. providing academic support assistance for absent or remedial students;
3. rewarding students for excellent attendance (drawings for prizes);
4. developing a culture of high expectations;
5. contacting parents frequently and completing home visits.
UNION GROVE HS (HENRY COUNTY SCHOOLS)
Dawn Jordan, Graduation Coach
Effective practices at Union Grove High School are:
1. analyzing and monitoring students' transcripts to evaluate credits for graduation and devise ways to address deficits;
2. assigning students with course/graduation deficits to appropriate Instructional Focus sessions;
3. providing students with opportunities to complete Credit Recovery during Instructional Focus.
References: UGHS Improvement Plan
* School’s effective practices based on 2012-2014 performance data.