Percent of students scoring at Developing Learner or above on the Georgia Milestones Physical Science EOC
BREMEN HS (BREMEN CITY SCHOOLS)*
Effective practices at Bremen High School are:
1. reviewing available data to determine students' academic strengths and weaknesses;
2. ensuring a strong correlation between instruction and GPS.
EVANS HS (COLUMBIA COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Don Brigdon, Principal
Effective practices at Evans High School are:
1. offering physical science at 11th grade after students have completed courses in biology and environmental science;
2. planning lessons and assignments collaboratively among teachers;
3. introducing each standard with notes/PowerPoint, followed by reading and assignments, group work, lab assignments, and videos;
4. administrating formative assessments and providing remediation, if necessary, before summative assessments.
MURRAY COUNTY HS (MURRAY COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Gina Linder, Principal
Andrea Morrow, Curriculum Facilitator
Jenny Lock, Language Arts Department Chairperson
Effective practices at Murray County High School are:
1. assigning literacy-focused activities based on Lexile measures;
2. analyzing benchmark data to identify student needs;
3. requiring students to "provide evidence from texts" in written and oral responses;
4. assigning struggling students to Fast Forward, a brain-based reading support program;
5. utilizing a variety of differentiated instructional strategies;
6. targeting academic strategies for economically-disadvantaged students in professional development trainings.
1. SRI Reports
2. Resources from Ruby Payne and Eric Jensen
3. Scientific Learning
HOUSTON COUNTY HS (HOUSTON COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Effective practices at Houston County High School are:
1. providing opportunities for collaboration among teachers who plan lessons that include reviews, discussions, and peer-teaching of concepts;
2. scheduling weekly meetings that focus on consistent delivery of quality instruction and the use of effective strategies;
3. encouraging teachers to take ownership of course content by sharing materials, refining lessons and ideas, reflecting on students' progress, creating and analyzing assessments and making observations;
4. encouraging students to complete remediation/tutorials/ re-tests;
5. developing student group and partner work collaboratives to share notes, focus on review of concepts and discussions, participate in peer-teaching, and make presentations .
UNION GROVE (HENRY COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Dawn Jordan, Graduation Coach
Effective practices at Union Grove High School are:
1. scheduling a daily Instructional Focus period;
2. analyzing data from testing ,grades and benchmarks;
3. identifying and assigning at-risk students to mandatory Instructional Focus sessions in content courses.
Reference: UGHS Improvement Plan
* School’s effective practices based on 2012-2014 performance data.