Percent of students scoring at Developing Learner or above on the Georgia Milestones Economics EOC
BROOKWOOD HS (GWINNETT COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Debra Dees, Principal
Kim Hamman, Administrative Intern
Effective practices at Brookwood High School are:
1. teaching a rigorous curriculum:
2. offering students' advanced courses in a challenging environment;
3. developing a collaborative culture among teachers of economics;
4. scheduling time for teachers to collaborate ( at least 52 minutes per week) about instructional strategies, pacing, GPS, assessments, goal-setting and EOCT preparation.
GWINNETT SCHOOL OF MATHEMATICS, SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (GWINNETT COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Dr. Jeff Mathews, Principal
Ms. Karen Rockey, Assistant Principal
Effective practices at the Gwinnett School of Math, Science, & Technology are:
1. delivering highly relevant and rigorous instruction in an integrated curriculum;
2. offering economics courses only at Advanced Placement levels;
3. assigning project-based performance tasks;
4. providing opportunities for teachers to collaborate about teaching strategies, performance-based assessments and EOCT preparation;
5. expecting students to perform at "Exceeds" level on EOCT.
HEARD COUNTY HS*
Effective practices at Heard County High School are:
1. administering five benchmark assessments at 3,6,9,12, and 15 weeks;
2. reviewing assessment data compiled by Thinkgate;
3. implementing Braves Block, a thirty-minute period, four days a week for remediation (priority given to courses with ECOT ) or exploratory ( SAT/ACT/Compass prep, pathway courses, public speaking, guitar, etc.) activities;
4. analyzing data to make prescriptive assignments (during Braves Block) based on performance on specific content standards/elements.
MCINTOSH HS (FAYETTE COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Mark Kienast, Department Chairperson
Effective practices at McIntosh High School are:
1. using instructional strategies such as questioning to ensure understanding and application of course concepts;
2. providing relevant examples that enhance conceptual understanding;
3. infusing technology in presentations of concept lessons;
4. assigning a real-world budget project to reinforce understanding and application of concepts to personal budgets.
ROCKMART HS (POLK COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Stephanie Foy, Teacher of Economics
Effective practices at Rockmart High School are;
1. analyzing EOCT data to identify weaknesses in students' skills and delivery of content;
2. collaborating among teachers of economics;
3. engaging students through interactive simulations;
4. incentivizing students to identify and discuss real-world examples of economics concepts;
5. participating in Georgia Council of Economics Education workshops.
Reference: GCEE workshops
UNION GROVE (HENRY COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Dawn Jordan, Graduation Coach
Effective practices at Union Grove High School are:
1. scheduling a daily Instructional Focus period;
2. analyzing data from testing ,grades and benchmarks to assess students;
3. identifying and assigning at risk students to mandatory Instructional Focus sessions in content courses.
WHITEWATER HS (FAYETTE COUNTY SCHOOLS)*
Effective practices at Whitewater High School are:
1. emphasizing comprehension and application of concepts and vocabulary related to economics courses;
2. using "real-world" applications and examples that enhance the relevance of economics to students.
* School’s effective practices based on 2012-2014 performance data.