Computer Science - Georgia Standards of Excellence (GSE)
The Georgia Standards of Excellence (GSE) for Computer Science (CS) were created in response to the growing use of computing devices and their impact on every aspect of society. If Georgia’s students are to participate effectively in society, a shift in K-12 education must correspond. In Georgia, Computer Science is understood as the study of computers and algorithmic processes, including their principles, their hardware and software designs, their implementation, and their impact on society. The standards blend the core concepts of computer science (i.e., what students should know) and computer science practices (i.e., what students should do). These core concepts and practices should be taught in an integrated way to provide authentic learning experiences for all students.
Additional advocacy videos:
Georgia Standards for Computer Science
GaDOE is using a new technical specification by the IMS Global Learning Consortium (IMS Global) called the Competency and Academic Standards Exchange (CASE) to enable a machine-readable, linked data version of state standards. With CASE, open-educational resources can be more easily tagged and discovered. Districts and individual educators can build crosswalks to their local learning targets, organize assessment results, and discover content through these crosswalks. The CASE format enables teaching, learning, and assessment software systems to access or consume competency frameworks and crosswalks.
Computer Science Data Dashboard
Grade Band Pages
Types of Resources for Each Grade Level
Teacher Notes - explanation for teachers what students should know about each standard and element in terms of content and cognitive demand.
- Teacher Content Tutorial Videos - videos that describe for teachers what students should know in terms of content and cognitive demand.
- Curriculum Map - sample organization structure for each course.
- Sample Units - sample essential questions, instructional activities, and performance tasks for units in the curriculum map.
- Sample lesson videos - screencasts for teachers that describe inquiry-based instructional strategies for the classroom.
- Virtual Specialist Professional Learning Communities - virtual communities specific to each grade level and course led by specialists from Georgia. These are hosted at edweb.net.
- K-12 Computer Science Video
- Computational Thinking Video
- Digital Citizenship in GA Video
On this Website