The purpose of this document is to provide local school districts with guidance for developing model reading lists for K-12 teachers to use in supporting instructional plans.
English language arts classroom instructional plans include the careful selection of appropriate reading resources. The types of and difficulty levels of the materials selected should be based on the academic needs and interests of diverse student populations and on the text complexity definitions found in the Georgia standards.
The process for the selection of reading materials should include the following:
• Local School Board policy or procedures for evaluating and approving locally selected reading materials
• Parent awareness and participation in reading selection options
• Interests of individual students in the classroom
• Lexile scores of individual students in the classroom
• Reading assessment data of individual students in the classroom
• Complexity and appropriateness of grade-level reading resources to support both student independent reading and teacher-directed reading
• Literary and informational reading selections
• Alignment of reading resources to the appropriate standards
Download the Guidance for Developing Model K-12 Reading Lists